The four girls

The four girls
Emily,Elaina,Eryn and Eden

Sunday, September 19, 2010

"Apple Pie and Me oh my!

... Home is where I might be... uh huh... take me back...I'm comin' home"

I have that song zipping through my head. I wish I knew it's name and who sings it and then I could down load it and groove to it. I've heard it on the radio all summer long, and can never get the name. So if there are people out there who know it and can tell it to me... LET ME KNOW! For I fear I'm driving my dear old husband to drink humming the tune and coming up with one word in ten. I think I've covered my lack of musical talent in earlier blogs. Even the girls will correct me now... I used to be able to sing to them at night, usually church primary songs and now they sit up and holler "MOM! That's NOT how it goes!!" which in turn makes me holler back.. "Then YOU sing it to me!" LIttle farts. They usually can sing it to me.:)

So tonight I must have made the most delicious meal ever. That or I starved them long enough that they ate EVERYthing off of the table, I kid you not. I did an apple pie (Thanks song) out of Mackintosh apples, I grate a little fresh ginger and lemon peel into the apples and let it sit while I make the crust. It gives the pie a little zip. Then I chopped up onions, carrots and celery and laid it in the bottom of my glass 9x13. Then I washed my bird, patted him dry with paper towels and then rubbed him down with melted butter, sea salt, crushed garlic and 2 tablespoons of dry Ranch Dressing mix. (I mixed all of the dry ingredients with the butter so it was like a lotion.) The girls all think it's funny when I'm doing a chicken for dinner... I sing and make it dance a little... I tell them it's like a little baby, we give it a bath, dry it off and then lotion it up. I'm evidently a crack up because it never fails... lots of giggling girls...even the too cool 13 year old is caught. What ever it takes. :) Anyway... I baked the bird and then made these great mashed potatoes with cream and butter. Once the bird was done, I drained all the cholesterol packed juices into a pan and mixed in some cornstarch and made a delightful gravy to spoon over the spuds. And is there any doubt now, why I weigh 300 pounds?

Actually, I don't cook like that every day. Usually we have a grilled or baked protein, fresh salad and a steamed veggie. But when I do cook like Julia Child, I usually do it on Sunday. Some thing about the old tradition of having a grand meal in the early evening after church that has always appealed to me. Especially if I can get a family from church to come over last minute. I love doing that. Of coarse, Dan is driven crazy by it... he is such an anti social butterfly. I on the other hand, LOVE feeding other people. I like the cooking and hosting part. Lot's of fun. And I was surprised to find out that my girls are becoming like me. They like to have people over and invite the neighborhood kids into our garage and pass out snacks and bottles of water. Drives their dad crazy makes me laugh and offer cookies too.

Um. Nothing says fall like an apple pie made from new crop apples. Well, maybe dipping carmel and sliced apples might say fall louder... but not by much! :)

3 comments:

  1. Pooky,

    I'm not anti-social. In fact, I'm quite the opposite. On a daily basis I socialize with at least 200+ kids and adults. Any wonder, then, why I want to come home, lock the door, close the curtains, unplug the phone, and JUST BE?

    By the way, dinner was absolutely fabulous tonight. There's a special feeling I get when I watch your daughters make the potatoes, chicken, carrots and celery disappear. It's a good thing we don't feed the dog scraps from the dinner table - tonight she wouldn't have gotten enough to keep a fly alive.

    Thanks for being my best friend. I love you so much.

    Love,

    Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm. I'm hungry now. Apple Pie is my most favorite ever! and B hates fruit and he also hates pie, so i never make it, because i WILL eat every single fattening bite of mouthwatering deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that dinner sounds yum!! It was fun watching you in action the other day in the kitchen, ha, ha! Ok -- now it's gonna bug me cuz I KNOW that song and had it on my blog playlist once and now am having a mind block! I'm gonna find out for ya just cuz it's bugging me now!

    ReplyDelete